Monday 6 January 2014

Resolutions

I know that there are some people that think that making New Year’s resolutions is silly. “Why do you need a certain day to decide to get going on some self-improvement?” they say. Well, I’ll tell you why. I am a master procrastinator. When presented with a task that I don’t particularly relish, I am incredibly adept at creating and justifying excuses to avoid said task.
For example: Vacuuming. It needs to be done. No denying it. But if I do it now, before company comes, then they will just make it all dirty again anyway. I should do it after. I will do it after... But after, I’m too tired. I’ll just rest a bit on the couch and re-energize, then I will vacuum... But now the kids are asleep. Wouldn’t want to wake them up. I’ll do it in the morning... But in the morning the kids are having such a fun time on the floor that I wouldn’t want to disturb them. I’ll do it later... And so on. Obviously, I do vacuum my floor. Equally obvious is the fact that it doesn’t get done as often as it probably should.
This is just an example, and no, I did not resolve to vacuum more often. But now you see why creating a New Years resolution can be a good idea. It is a definitive, undeniable, non-negotiable time to get started.
This year, I made some hefty ones. It’s going to be a big year. First and foremost is “Patience”. I resolve to have it, use it, harness it and create an endless supply of it. As opposed to trying it, wearing it thin and losing it. I will accept that not everyone can read my mind and I will attempt to help others understand that my abilities in that field are sorely lacking as well – in a patient manner. I will parent my children with infinite patience despite the fact that I have STILL not managed to locate the manual that came with the darn things. If you find it, let me know. I have had more than one emergency patience-tester in which it would have come in handy. I will wave in a friendly manner to infuriating motorists rather than saluting them with only one finger. (Just kidding, I’m too afraid of a lunatic with road rage driving me off the road to actually follow through with that particular urge. But I think it sometimes, which is just as bad. So I will wave to them in my thoughts instead.) Ahhh, patience.
Resolution number two is fitness related and unspecific. I simply want to do my best. I want to exercise at every opportunity and fuel my body with a higher ratio of healthy food than unhealthy (which I usually do anyway, but doesn’t hurt to include it on the list). I want to push my limits of endurance so that I can find out what I am really capable of. I want to sweat once a day, and not just because I’m wearing too many sweaters.  I DON’T want to make a fool of myself at the World Master’s Swimming Championships. So I will do all of these things. Then, I can look back and honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that I did my best.

And that’s it. I figure that’s enough for now. I have my work cut out for me, especially with the Patience one. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I too am a procrastinator Lindsay.... if you saw the sink full of dishes, you would agree! But I will always be this way... procrastination is like a big wave for me... I will go for a while in this mode (the wave) and then the wave hits the shore and something or things finally HAVE to get done. I've stopped fighting it. I know now in these later years, that the rythmn of life allows me the energy to do what has to be done when it has to be done, and just in the nick of time most of the time!!!

    ReplyDelete